Picasso ... 'Absolut'ly subjective

Posted by AM at 9/12/2008

After a week-end filled with encounters which, at best, fall under the categories ‘new’, ‘weird’, ‘puzzling’, ‘almost frustrating if it weren’t for my frolicking friends and the miraculous effect of the Absolut’, Picasso’s exhibition seemed like the most appropriate finale to an overwhelmingly confusing break.

Enjoying my ride to the capital in the passenger seat for a change, I was secretly hoping to see 'it' –my painting of an earlier post. Years later, heartbreaks seem to be a re-current theme in my life, differences lying in the details, faces, locations, etc.

I didn’t find it … Instead, I was mesmerized by her: her face or should I say her faces -profile and full face; her eyes -one looking out and another within ...
'her', so feminine, present, sophisticated, social, alive yet so soft, pensive, thoughtful, reflective, lonely …

There I was, contemplating the reflection of my own self wondering whether she too struggled between the face she had to show to the world and the face she wished she could reveal. Did she have days where she was tired of portraying the joyful, fun, daring, non-chalant, cool, detached, confident side of her. Did she ever feel like shouting out her over-sensitive, hopeless romantic, passionate, hesitant, protective, self-critical and reflective side? Did she ever overcome that fear of exposing what fully makes her up? How long did she have to nurture one side on the expense of the other for survival and company?

A text message from L woke me up to let me know that they had been waiting outside for quite some time. I looked back smiling, thinking that most probably Pablo had something different in mind. But hey, wasn’t he the one who said ‘It is not up to the painter to define the symbols otherwise it would be better if he wrote them out in so many words! The public who look at the picture must interpret the symbols as they understand them’?

Ah and so I obliged ;)


Painting: Portrait Dora Maar by Picasso - 1937

6 comments:

Joe said...

well just wanted to say , welcome back girly!! it's been a while since you wrote anything.

poshlemon said...

Yes, you have been missed.

To those who are familiar with my work, it's no secret that I am quite influenced by Pablo Picasso. One of the reasons is that most of his work - especially during what was known as the blue period and then later on cubism - is reminiscent of the human struggle with both the hidden and the evident... The revealed and concealed.

Samer said...

I saw a huge part of his collection this summer. His progression in style is almost out-worldly. I second PL's appreciation of his blue period, and his reinterpretation of Las Meninas (worth checking out). His work astounded me.

Anonymous said...

i think most people agree on the obvious, when they observe the world: up is up, an eye is out of place, blue is a cool color. but beyond that, especially with art, interpretation increasingly becomes personal.
ultimately, it isn't necessary that a painting has meaning, only that it means something unique to me.

Zee said...

Very descriptive and excellent written post - thank you!

KEA said...

you're GOOD! have i told you this before?